Re: Displaying headers and code

From: BobR
Subject: Re: Displaying headers and code
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:56:07 GMT

Gary Labowitz wrote in message ...
>"BobR" <RemoveBadBobR@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Try this after compiling:
>> objdump -C -S MyProg.o > MyProg.txt
>> A little cleaner output than *.s file (-save-temps).
>
>Aha! Thanks to you and Maett. This is the ticket. Not the absolutely
>prettiest, but usable and what I was looking for.
>I didn't know what I had in objdump. Now I have to explore the rest of the
>bin modules.
>Might there be a listing of what they are somewhere? (Probably in gcc
>information)
>Many thanks.
>-- Gary

Look for docs listed under 'binutils'. I'd done a little work with 'ar' and
'nm', but otherwise never messed with the other 'binutils'.
I was looking for something else when I ran across 'objdump', so I posted it
and *then* saw Maett's post. Great minds think alike, eh Maett?<G>

If you are working on a windows machine, look for the 'Msys' utilities for
even more Unix-like tools.

Here's the mirror where I downloaded 'binutils-2.13.90.0.4.chm' back in
2002. I guess I should look for newer docs!<G> [those utility docs seldom
change]

Current docs;
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/manual/

Snoop around over at www.gnu.org , tons of good stuff.