Re: Displaying headers and code

From: BobR
Subject: Re: Displaying headers and code
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:03:47 GMT

Gary Labowitz wrote in message ...
>"BobR" <RemoveBadBobR@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Gary Labowitz wrote in message ...
>> >Are there command line flags to display the included headers' content
and
>> to show the generated code?
>> >I've explored all the -d and -f options output and didn't see what I
want.
>> >Thanks.
>> >--Gary
>>
>> Beyond the '-v' switch, there are editors that can display file content.
><G>
>> If you are talking about the pre-processed temp file (with macros
>expanded)
>> or the assembler file, try the '-save-temps' switch (those files are big,
>> and have a lot of 'air' inside.). Those files have extensions like .i,
.s,
>> .ii (depending on machine(I think)).
>> Is that what you are after?
>
>Yes, they work, but there IS a lot of air.
>I am really looking for a nice, tight, assembler language printout; you
>know, the C++ line followed by the generated code. This appears in the .s
>file (I think) but you really have to sort through to find each statement's
>code. I explored all the files generated by the -save-temps flag.
>I seem to recall years ago getting a listing that showed the include file
>data right after the include statement. This might have been C.
>
>I had figured one of the debugging options would do it, but I haven't found
>one that does. It looked from the descrioption in the manual that -dD, -dM,
>etc. had promise, but they didn't do what I want. I did get a hierarchical
>listing of the includes, which is nice. Anyway, it's a struggle at this
>point to try and understand what code is generated by the compiler.
>Thanks for asking.
>--
>Gary

Not 'command line', but I think the 'Insight' gdb GUI frontend has been
ported from windows to Linux. If I remember correctly, it had displays close
to what you want.
If you don't/can't use a GUI, I'd guess the 3+Meg download would be useless.
<G>
If you can't find it anywhere, try looking for a link at:
 http://www.bloodshed.net/

--
Bob R
POVrookie