Exceptions and warnings

From: Andreas Schallenberg
Subject: Exceptions and warnings
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:22:31 +0100

Hi NG!

Background:
I've a fairly large C++ program which makes
use of exceptions for error handling.
Unfortunately the exceptions are thrown nearly
all the way up to the top of the call stack
which makes the messages difficult to read.
In many cases the correct place to append some
useful information would be at half of that way
where teh methods known whats going on in a
broader view.

Problem:
I'd like to have some support by gcc on modifying
these throw/catch behavior. I am looking for a
way to get a list of method/exception pairs which
tell me which method does receive an exception but
does not handle it. This would be quite similar
to the Java style of doing. But I'd like not to
break the compile but get a warning.

My expectation was that this would be quite a
common problem but found only one NG thread in
the past which touched this topic (and that wasn't
gcc specific, too).

Does anybody know some hints how to get closer
to this goal?

RU,
Andreas

P.S.:
I've posted this previously to gnu.gcc.help
but was pointed to this group since it was
obviously off-topic there.