Re: Doubt about -fpic option for compiling objects of shared library

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Doubt about -fpic option for compiling objects of shared library
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:19:30 -0700

"kiran" <kiran.agashe@gmail.com> writes:

> According to docs, there are 2 steps:
> 1> the object files must be compiled using -fpic
> 2> Shared library is created using -shared -fpic

Correct.

> Now my doubt is,
> even if I do not use -fpic option of the first step above, it still
> works (on linux and solaris)!!!

It *happens* to work, but you are programming by coincidence:
http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=31538&rl=1

It will also likely *not* work on Solaris/SPARC (you probably only
tested on Solaris/x86).

> So is -fpic really required in the first step above???

Yes. Otherwise, your shared library may fail to link (SPARC),
or its pages will not be really shared between processes (Linux).

> on Xeon(Sun-fire V65X) machine, when I use -fpic in the first step
> above, application crashes for "throw" statement.

Look for a bug elsewhere. What is the crash stack trace?

> And if I do not use -fpic in first step, application does not crash!

Probably coincidence.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.