Re: Doubt about -fpic option for compiling objects of shared library

From: kiran
Subject: Re: Doubt about -fpic option for compiling objects of shared library
Date: 6 Oct 2005 01:54:15 -0700

> In that case, you likely linked your library incorrectly (which
> would also explain why your exceptions do not work). What was the
> link line on Solaris/SPARC that succeeded, and which version of g++
> you were using?

No, exceptions always worked on solaris (whether I use -fpic or not). I
am using g++ 2.95.3 on solaris.
The problem exceptions was there on Xeon linux machine.

> You didn't solve *anything*. What you did is demonstrate an extreme
> example of programming by coincidence (which I advised you against).
> I guess you didn't read the article I referred you to.

I read the article. It seems it will take some time to come out of
"Programming by coincidence" pattern that I use for troubleshooting :-)

Currently following "seems" to have removed the problem of crash in
exception throwing.
I have a Qt-library (libqt-mt.so.3.3.1) which was built on Pentiun-4
machine using gcc 2.95.3, with GNU ld version 2.10.91.
If I use this Qt-library, on Xeon machine which has gcc 2.95.3 and GNU
ld version 2.11.93.0.2, will this create problems?
When I downgraded the ld version on Xeon to GNU ld version 2.10.91.
Things started working fine.

Now is that a "coincidence" or is there a logical/theoritical reason
behind that?
With my limited experience with gcc, I am not able to find the reason.

Thanks and regards,
- Kiran