Linkage of sections from multiple obj files

From: Thomas Anderson
Subject: Linkage of sections from multiple obj files
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 18:39:26 +0530

Hi All,

If I have the same symbol in the .data section of 2 obj files
(actually it is a const char *ptr), LD gives a multiple declaration
error on linking?
It would be great if someone could let me know the cause / explanation
for this (diab only issues a warning in this case)

Also what if the symbols were in any other section (.rdata or .text)?
Or which  sections of the obj files does LD search through for
overlapping symbol names when linking?

TIA!
P.S. Please let me know if there is another list that I should be
posting this to?