How does one use curses.h? I may have system problems with it.

From: David Chmelik
Subject: How does one use curses.h? I may have system problems with it.
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 23:56:11 -0700

I have some problems with curses.h or ncurses.h.

When I make a program including either and use its functions and compile with g++ I get these sort of errors:

tir.cxx:(.text+0x179e): undefined reference to `wmove',
tir.cxx:(.text+0x17af): undefined reference to `stdscr' (I did not use stdscr but suppose another statement does,)
tir.cxx:(.text+0x17b4): undefined reference to `waddch',
tir.cxx:(.text+0x17c5): undefined reference to `move'.

When gcc says an error with some hex number in parentheses like that it is usally a library or system problem. Most of the time I have seen such errors, also with other libraries such as SDL, the hex numbers even change after most compiles. I have usually used Slackware, and now I use Slamd64 (a 64-bit Slackware) which also has these problems.