Re: Path prefix to src and targets

From: David Deutsch
Subject: Re: Path prefix to src and targets
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:06:06 +0200

Hi Paul,

Well, I was mostly testing the waters, so thanks for clarifying.

I have checked the competence of GPT4 for make many times before I decided to test it on mailing list questions. I have always found it to be surprisingly good.

In this case, I checked the response, too and found it to be appropriate and helpful. (And do let me know if I'm missing something here!)

The thing that wasn't quite up to spec was the part about stems - the response did not go into detail about how the stem can turn out to be somewhat less than intuitive. It wasn't necessarily wrong (as far as I can tell), but it lacked detail. When pressed for more details, I think it does a good job:

https://chat.openai.com/share/0f7d6168-3126-4844-9fac-99b704e6eec7

This might be getting a little too meta, but I'm only a casual observer of this mailing list and I've seen basic questions go unanswered a few times. I suppose that's not surprising. make is, unfortunately, seen by many as a dated relic and not a core competency. So in my view, with audience dwindling, this might become more of an issue in the future.

I've toyed with the idea of building a fresh introduction to make for newbies, explaining the core tech and how it's important to understand make as a graph processing tool where its simplicity is not a sign of limitation, but of decades of honing down a very sharp edge that is as valid now as it used to be. (I often joke that many software architectures - build systems especially - contain an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of make.) I've not yet found the time to do that, but I still might, in the future. Seeing how well GPT4 fares with explaining make to new users (or even to people like myself who have used it for quite a bit longer), I think there might be a part of that project that is about building a virtual expert that developers could use to hone their own make skills, like a make "tutor". It would be hard, I think, to find a human tutor like that.

My point is - perhaps it's even getting increasingly harder. There is an element of "erosion of competency" in the user base of many trusted tools and that's a real shame, but - such is life. LLMs might not be the silver bullet here, as you can never "simulate" a good community, but perhaps they could be helpful in aiding those who are still around with the workload of keeping it alive?

-David