Re: My problems on translating a texinfo document to chinese

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: My problems on translating a texinfo document to chinese
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:37:26 +0000

On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 02:48:15PM +0000, ralphlin24@hotmail.com wrote:
> To whom it might concern:
>
>     I have some problems on translating the Emacs manual, a texinfo document,
> to Chinese.
>
>     Specifically, when I use the following command:
>
>     texi2pdf emacs.texi -o emacs.pdf
>
>     I have following errors:
>
>     Unicode char @u8:找 not defined for Texinfo
>
>     Where "找" is a Chinese character.
>
>     And outputing the documentation in plain text and HTML
>     works(theoretically also info), but
>     not for everything TeX.

You need the special support file texinfo-zh.tex that comes with Texinfo;
moreover you cannot process your source files with regular pdfetex.  You
have to use XeTeX.  Rather than the first line of the file being

\input texinfo

you must, instead, write

\input texinfo-zh

As well as XeTeX, you may need to install some other packages for
TeX (zhspacing.sty).

Some manuals have been translated into Japanese which is supported the
same way, except it uses texinfo-ja.tex instead of texinfo-zh.tex.
These files are distributed as part of Texinfo.

>     and I also added following in emacs.texi:
>
>     @documentencoding UTF-8
>     @documentlanguage zh_CN

That should be ok.

>     Also I translated txi-en.tex in the Emacs source file to Chinese as
>     txi-zh_CN.tex and it is included in the directory of the maunual. A
>     brief description is included in the file:
>
>     "This is read when a source document says @documentlanguage zh_CN."
>
>     but the above output appeared for every Chinese character.

There is already a translation of txi-en.tex, txi-zh.tex, that comes with
Texinfo.

>     I tried to read the info manual and found out that using a unicode
>     letter requires the use of "@u8{HEX}", which is not the way to go.
>
>     The texinf-ja.tex probably has the answer...

I don't know what that file refers to - there is a file "texinfo-ja.tex"
but you need to use "texinfo-zh.tex".