Re: Math and the Emacs info viewer

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Math and the Emacs info viewer
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 16:09:31 +0100

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 03:41:02PM +0200, Rahguzar wrote:
> While this is true, I thought this might be the easier change. We just
> need some markers. Even if I not handled, these markers wouldn't make
> the presentation worse to a noticeable extent and Emacs being Emacs the
> required changes can be done even outside of Emacs tree (in other words,
> I feel I can do these changes myself and then upstream it while I don't
> have this confidence about changes to texi2any).

I am reluctant to change or extend Info format any more.  Adding markers
for math content could easily follow on to adding markers for other content
which would create a lot of instability and work for people.

> > The first method, outputting the math as an image in Info as is already
> > possible, would require the image to be generated.  texi2any can already
> > generate images for @math/@displaymath in HTML output using either
> > latex2html
> > or tex4ht (accessed with the HTML_MATH customization variable).  I expect
> > it would be straightforward to do something similar with Info output.
>
> This is would indeed be preferable and great. Should I open a bug report
> about it?

The Texinfo project does not use a bug tracking system so your email is
enough.  I am copying this email to bug-texinfo@gnu.org to possibly get a
wider audience.