Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Compilation problems on Mac

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Compilation problems on Mac
Date: 27 Mar 2002 13:33:10 +0100

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 11:11, Stephane Letz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to maintain the iiwusynth code on MacOS9 and MacOSX and get
> compilation problems.
>
> There are some new code for profiling but this seems only to be available
> on linux (iiwu_profile in iiwu_sys.h file)
>
> Peter, could you explain how the profiling code is structured an how it
> could be adapted for other platforms?

Hi Stephane,

The profiling code is currently only working on x86 machines running
Linux (Windows might work too).

On other platforms, the profiling macros should expand to nothing. I see
now that I forgot to define iiwu_profile_ref() and iiwu_profile() for
MacOS.

On x86 systems, I read the TSC register, which basically counts the
number of CPU cycles. It's probably the most accurate way to measure
time on x86 processors.

If there's something similar on PPC processors, we can do the same for
MacOS. We basically need a function iiwu_utime() which returns the
current time in microseconds.

Let me know.

Before you make any final release, I have some bug fixes and
improvements that have not been committed to CVS, yet. You definitely
want those. I'll clean up a bit today and commit.

Thanks!
Peter