[Javaweb-submit] Can I call my Java calendar package gnu.calendar?

From: H . Väisänen
Subject: [Javaweb-submit] Can I call my Java calendar package gnu.calendar?
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:05:38 +0300 (EET DST)

Hi there.

I have written a Java package that partially translates emacs's
calendar package into Java and partially contains code I wrote myself,
and would like to call it gnu.calendar. Can I do it?

The README file follows. It calls the package gnu.calendar but if you
don't like the name, I'll change it.

gnu.calendar README
-------------------

This package is free software distributed under the terms of the GNU
General Public License. See the COPYING file for details.

This package implements many calendars. In addidion to the Gregorian
calendar, it has

Coptic calendar
Ethiopic calendar
Finnish calendar
French revolutionary calendar
Hebrew calendar
Islamic calendar
Julian calendar
Mayan calendar
Persian calendar

Different countries changed from Julian to Gregorian calendar in
different times. This package has calendars for the following
countries (all of them do not exist any more as independend countries)

Calendar          Countries
BohemianMoravian  Bohemia and Moravia
British           Great Britain and Dominions
Bulgarian         Bulgaria
Danish            Denmark, Norway and many German Protestant states
Finnish           Finland and Sweden (1)
Hungarian         Hungary
Prussian          Prussia
Romanian          Romania
Russian           Russia, Estonia (was part of Russia when calendar changed)
SwissProtestant   Swiss Protestant cantons

(1) Finland and Sweden changed to Gregorian calendar in 1753
    but in the first part of the 18th century the calendar was
    neither Julian nor Gregorian. For example, February 1712 had
    30 days.

Part of the code is translated into Java from emacs's calendar
package.

Another source has been The Calendar FAQ
http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/calendar26.html

See INSTALL file for installing instructions.

Hannu Väisänen <address@hidden>
Replace ä's with a's in my email address.