koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Perl Bundle's

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Perl Bundle's
Date: Fri Aug 30 06:29:04 2002

Mike,
thanks for taking on this role and getting started on it so quickly.  I
don't think that I often enough say how impressed I am with the care and
effort that Koha volunteers put forth.

(more comments below)

On 30 Aug 2002, Mike Mylonas wrote:

> Following up from what was discussed during the IRC meeting (see
> http://www.haz.cmsd.bc.ca/cgi-bin/kohalog.pl?date=29Aug02 for the full
> log)
>
> One of the items that was discussed was the creation of a Perl Bundle
> which would then be registered with CPAN (CPAN is the Comprehensive Perl
> Archive Network, see http://www.cpan.org).
>
> I agreed to look into the creation of such a bundle, which I managed to
> play with this afternoon and it is certainly feasable (and remarkably
> simple to do).
>
> This raises a couple of questions.
>
> (1) Who wants to register with CPAN (someone may already be so) and
> maintain the Bundle. Note: I am willing to take this role on.

Why don't you register address@hidden, and we'll see about katipo
creating an email address that forwards to you and to one or two other
folks (to meet your point later about not having a single point of
failure).

> (2) The name of the bundle.  Options that have already been mentioned
> are Bundle::Koha, Bundle::KohaSupport etc.

I like Bundle::KohaSupport ... my thought was that the bundle would be
just of the modules we need to support us.  If we decide to get more
involved later, we can always add Bundle::KohaOpac and Bundle::KohaIntra
for the app itself (thought I'm not sure this is the best way to go).

> (3) Because of the fact that the person who takes on the role mentioned
> in (1), must register with CPAN with the usual userid's and passwords
> etc, I think that another person should also have access to the userid
> and password so that we do not end up with a potentially unmaintained
> bundle (I propose either Pat or Katipo)
>
> (4) It was discussed about the installation of the yaz client as part of
> the Bundle.  This we believe is possible but will need to be
> investigated further, at this point in time I propose that we use just
> the perl modules as they stand, and modify the documentation to include
> the fact that the yaz client must be installed prior to running the
> installer, or installing manually.

Sounds good for a first go 'round.   I'd like to get the bundle out sooner
rather than later, and something that does 80% now would still be a clear
win.

> (5) With the registration with CPAN, I believe that there is a potential
> delay of 1 to 3 weeks. I would suggest that we hold of on the next
> stable release for this period (unless the next release is only a day or
> two away).

Steve?

> Thoughts and opinions appreciated - so are flames, but please flame me
> personally not the list ;-)
>
> Mike

-pate