koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Perl Bundle's

From: Mike Mylonas
Subject: [Koha-devel] Perl Bundle's
Date: Thu Aug 29 22:18:02 2002

Following up from what was discussed during the IRC meeting (see
http://www.haz.cmsd.bc.ca/cgi-bin/kohalog.pl?date=29Aug02 for the full
log)

One of the items that was discussed was the creation of a Perl Bundle
which would then be registered with CPAN (CPAN is the Comprehensive Perl
Archive Network, see http://www.cpan.org).

I agreed to look into the creation of such a bundle, which I managed to
play with this afternoon and it is certainly feasable (and remarkably
simple to do).

This raises a couple of questions.

(1) Who wants to register with CPAN (someone may already be so) and
maintain the Bundle. Note: I am willing to take this role on.

(2) The name of the bundle.  Options that have already been mentioned
are Bundle::Koha, Bundle::KohaSupport etc.

(3) Because of the fact that the person who takes on the role mentioned
in (1), must register with CPAN with the usual userid's and passwords
etc, I think that another person should also have access to the userid
and password so that we do not end up with a potentially unmaintained
bundle (I propose either Pat or Katipo)

(4) It was discussed about the installation of the yaz client as part of
the Bundle.  This we believe is possible but will need to be
investigated further, at this point in time I propose that we use just
the perl modules as they stand, and modify the documentation to include
the fact that the yaz client must be installed prior to running the
installer, or installing manually.

(5) With the registration with CPAN, I believe that there is a potential
delay of 1 to 3 weeks. I would suggest that we hold of on the next
stable release for this period (unless the next release is only a day or
two away).

Thoughts and opinions appreciated - so are flames, but please flame me
personally not the list ;-)

Mike