koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] an interesting idea

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] an interesting idea
Date: Mon Mar 31 11:06:45 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> Pat Eyler <address@hidden> wrote:
> >   2) we can work at translating the queries into other (nonMySQL) dialects
> >      of SQL if we ever decide to support them.
>
> Is this not still intended to be so?  I would be interested in working
> on translation to postgresql.  Indeed, this is part of my reason for
> subscribing to this list.  It is possible to translate MySQL software
> to other SQLs, but not always the other way, it seems.  At the moment,
> I have to run multiple DBMSs and that is rather annoying.

Well, this may seem like picking nits, but here goes --
Currently, the Koha developers are all working on MySQL.  We've not
received patches from anyone to make things work on PostgreSQL, Ingress,
Oracle, etc.  So I'd say that we're still not 'supporting' those RDBMs.
It should certainly be possible to use almost any RDBMs from Koha, and I'd
like to be able to get to that point ...

I think that using a Phrasebook pattern might help us to build libraries
of queries that will allow us to use high quality SQL crafted specifically
for each RDBMs that we eventually have developers/companies actively
supporting.

Does that make sense?

-pate