koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] an interesting idea

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] an interesting idea
Date: Mon Mar 31 15:27:07 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> Pat Eyler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Well, this may seem like picking nits, but here goes --
>
> As may this.  Your message did not say anything about whether or not
> koha currently supports PostgreSQL.  It referred to a decision to
> support them.  I inferred that this was a decision to support them
> in the future.  From archives, I thought that was always the plan, so
> I was surprised to hear this talk of such a decision being in the future.

Well, I think we've always wanted to support PostgreSQL (though we
occassionaly cast our eyes on cool MySQLisms that promise efficiency
gains.)  I guess my take is that:

   we don't currently 'support' PostgreSQL,
   we'd like to,
   we need one or more developers to step up if we're to get there.

That's why I talked about deciding to support PostgreSQL in the future.

> That was all.
>
> Gut reaction is: A phrasebook may have value, but is there really that
> much going on that requires many database-specific commands?

There certainly are areas where it would help enormously (i.e. the DB
creation/alteration bits in the install/upgrade scripts).  There are other
places where it might be useful (i.e., taking advantage of
*SQLisms that we feel are worth using).  I hope that it would also make
tuning/testing easier.

All told, I'm not sure it's the right way to go, but I think it's worth
discussing.

-pate