koha-devel

RE: [Koha-devel] Some script ideas on version 3

From: Tümer Garip
Subject: RE: [Koha-devel] Some script ideas on version 3
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:48:30 +0200

Hi,
Joshua said:
>>In fact, aren't there cases where a library uses two or more different
item call numbers for different collections? For instance, NPL uses
Dewey for non-fiction >>but fiction uses a locally-constructed method.

>>So in addition to needing to parse multiple subfields it should also
support multiple mappings ... Any suggestions for how to handle that?
Well I am not so sure of what you ment but if you mean  parsing
050a,050b,090b,245c altogether to form the itemcalnumber from whichever
combination there  is i.e just combine them in order as long as there is
something in these fields thats easy (we can write that). If not explain
what the need is in layman terms as we dont know what you use.

>>What kinds of tweaking would be necessary?
Well I think the code can be written more intuitevly rather than
assuming that the cataloger have put say the dot in the correct place or
not. All the fields are doubles while some can be left as text etc. The
code does work by the way just that it need more thought for flexibility

Cheers,
Tumer Garip
NEU Libraries & Information Systems Director