koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] form buttons Vs simple links

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] form buttons Vs simple links
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:23:40 -0500

> I've started to work on Koha HEAD templates and my first remark is
> about links. Why links are replaced by form buttons? This construction
> is complicated and against semantic.

It's /mostly/ cosmetic. There are situations (like moremember.pl) where
there are a variety of actions which require both links and form buttons.
Edit and Change Password, for instance, could easily be links. But Delete
must be a button because it's harmful to have a destructive outcome be the
consequence of a GET action.

In that case, I made the decision to make all the controls buttons for the
sake of consistency. I was uncomfortable at the time with the idea of
styling links to resemble buttons because I was concerned about possible
accessibility issues... I'm not sure my concerns were well-founded.

I'm opposed to the idea of using graphical icons alone, because I feel the
intranet interface needs to be as lightweight as possible. If we're talking
only about the prog templates, then I think we need to focus on bare
structure and not worry about making it pretty. I think graphical icons
could be used in an alternative template for libraries to choose, but I
don't think they're necessary for prog.

  -- Owen