koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] borrower issues, work made twice

From: Pierrick LE GALL
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] borrower issues, work made twice
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:52:15 +0200

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:29:31 -0500
Owen Leonard <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think we shouldn't worry (particularly in the prog templates) about
> whether we're displaying /too much/ information. We need to instead be
> concerned that we're displaying too little.
>
> [...] The moremember screen is for displaying as much information as
> possible so that the librarian has a single page to go for everything
> they need to see.

Here follows the reasons why we should avoid having the 95% same
informations displayed on different pages:

- scalability: the day we'll have a new feature for members, we'll have
  to duplicate it on as many pages as where they make sense to display?

- consistancy: the same form is displayed in 2 places, any normal user
  will wonder why, what the difference between the two forms.

- stability: we have twice more code lines. They are not written the
  same, they don't even use the same module function to retrieve
  issues. The day you correct a bug on the first module, the second form
  will still display the bug. Well, this is dangerous and time consuming
  for developers.

I totally agree that a members/moremember page is useful, but I should
be essentially a page linked to others, not a page displaying same
informations slightly differently.

Cheers,

--
Pierrick LE GALL