koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Trouble-maker alert: Names of System Prefs

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Trouble-maker alert: Names of System Prefs
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:53:27 +1300

Hi Nicole

On 2/22/08, Nicole Engard <address@hidden> wrote:
As you may know, I'm new to the team, and as such have been doing a
lot of poking at Koha from a librarian's perspective.  I've submitted
a few bugs and enhancements, but this one requires more than a simple
enhancement request, this one needs the backing of a bunch of
developers ;) - so here comes the trouble-maker part.

[snip]

My suggestion is either a renaming of system prefs (with librarian or
usability expert input) or a way to change the way these labels are
displayed to the user.  Meaning the system can see 'reviewson' but I
see 'CommentsOn'.

Heck no to renaming the system prefs ... that will only work for the language the usability expert speaks :) So we will end up with system preference names that mean something to US librarians and nothing to the rest of the world :-)

But having another column in the database, displayname which is translatable that is used to display to the user.

I'm sure there are many others like this - I just haven't gotten to
them yet - so I'm suggesting us discussing changing these in some way
to improve the user experience and overall usability of the staff
client in Koha.

What do you all think?  Let the tomato throwing begin!

Im saving my tomatoes for a salad this weekend :)

Chris