koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Trouble-maker alert: Names of System Prefs

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Trouble-maker alert: Names of System Prefs
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:16:26 +1300

On 2/22/08, Joshua Ferraro <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/21/08, Chris Cormack <address@hidden> wrote:
> > My suggestion is either a renaming of system prefs (with librarian or
> > usability expert input) or a way to change the way these labels are
> > displayed to the user.  Meaning the system can see 'reviewson' but I
> > see 'CommentsOn'.
>
> Heck no to renaming the system prefs ... that will only work for the
> language the usability expert speaks :) So we will end up with system
> preference names that mean something to US librarians and nothing to the
> rest of the world :-)
>
> But having another column in the database, displayname which is translatable
> that is used to display to the user.

I think there are compelling reasons to rename all the sysprefs, some of them
are just plain illogical (like NoZebra, NoZebraIndexes) ... but I 100% agree
that we need a way to translate them for display as well. Another
column wouldn't
cover it because it wouldn't be able to handle multiple translations
... I'd vote
for exposing the syspref names to the template as a variable and wrapping
the description in that format so it could be translated using our PO system.

If we are going to do that, then we should go the whole hog and do that with the descriptions too.
No point having them in the database.

 Chris