Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:49:40 +0200

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 07:41:50PM -0700, Ian Duggan wrote:
> As for L4Hurd at savannah, I don't really see what the advantages are. I
> took a look at the savannah stuff and there really seems to be a lot
> less to work with than at sourceforge. I don't really buy into the
> argument that progress on a project should suffer in the name of
> everything being completely "free". Aside from sourceforge being owned
> by a company, what do people find so offensive about it? I think it's
> done wonders for the open source/free software/whatever movement.

I care about that sourceforge isn't free and AFAIK most hurd hackers
also care about it. The savannah people are going to rewrite everything,
it will be better than it is now (and maybe better than sourceforge).

> I think there is a lot more visibility gained by having a project on
> Sourceforge as well. All of the other L4 projects are hosted there and
> seem to be doing just fine.

I don't see why sourceforge has more visibility than savannah. All
projects hosted at savannah seem also to do just fine. :)

> Additionally, I found it extremely confusing that there were Hurd pages
> all over the place when I started working with and learning about the
> Hurd. I couldn't sort out why there was sourceforge, savannah, and all
> the various Gnu pages on it. It's a quagmire.

The hurd is already at savannah (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/hurd).
The glibc source are also on subversion (it's not listed in the tree,
but it is there :). I don't know if it possible to setup a branch for
us. The sourceforge hurd project is quite dead, ppp works now and I'm
going to move pthreads to savannah.

> My experience with Sourceforge has been nothing but good in the past.
> People are at the helm answering questions at all times of the day. The
> developers will interact with you via email if you like. The setup is
> fast and works well.

I have no experience with sourceforge, but I think the savannah people
are also willing to help you.

> Lastly, I have already setup stuff at Sourceforge. It seems like
> duplicated effort to do it again elsewhere. I was just responding to a
> request to this list to setup a project for us to work from one place.
> Why diverge?

It's a good thing, only the place to do it is savannah.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
"all the _really_ interesting stuff will be going on in user space."
        --Linus Torvalds