Re: Hurdish salt and L4eeesh peppers

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Hurdish salt and L4eeesh peppers
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:00:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi Etienne

> I am trying to 'build' l4-(fiasco)-hurd (duh) on a
> FreeBSD system. How fun that could be ... anyway :-)
>
> 1. First of all, which '--target' should we refer to ?
> Is it okay to use i386-linux-gnu (which is not quite
> my definition of platform independent, but anyway,  )
> - what about i386-gnu ?
uh..., what has that to do with the Hurd?
Last time I've tried it, compiling L4 Fiasco
on FreeBSD was not a problem at all. Agreed,
it was a couple of months ago...

> 3. Sigma0 and RMGR. How are they interacting with the
> Hurd ? Same for Linux DDE... Have you guys checked the
> L4Linux API ? pmap.c ?
With _the Hurd?_ Not at all right now.
Fiasco and the Hurd are currently completly
unrelated. If you have some time, you may
help us though, to make Hurd/L4 a reality :-)

> 4. Is there any documentations about how IPC's works
> in the Hurd ? What about threading ?
IPC under the Hurd is currently Mach-based.
We use Mach IPC primitives in the Hurd. On L4,
IPC semantics differ somewhat (mostly, and to
simplify it: L4 has synchroneous, whereas Mach
uses asynchroneous IPC; but that is not considere
as the main difficutly in the port; simmulating
async IPC is not _that_ difficult).

Threading was always a problem in the port.
Earlier versions of L4 supported only a limited
number of threads, compared to Mach. Upcoming
Pistachio will remove that restriction, according
to the X.2 specs. I don't see any problems here.

> 5. Any plans for including Parrot into the Hurd ?
No idea.

> 6. KIP and the Hurd ? In Fiasco, is there some options
> that would not be compatible for world-domination ?
> (i.e: 'Small user space', or else ?)
?????

> Ah well, thats all for now.I guess I will not skip
> tonight Voyager's episode..I just love sevenof9 :-D
Mr. Spock to CRT: Live long and phosphor... ;-)

> Eat cookies !
Gimme a cookie ;)

Greetings,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Management
address@hidden

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore." --Edgar Allan Poe.