Re: L4-hurd discuss

From: David Leimbach
Subject: Re: L4-hurd discuss
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:15:59 -0700

On Jun 24, 2005, at 4:07 PM, Benno wrote:

On Sat Jun 25, 2005 at 03:38:08 +0800, Neil Santos wrote:

On 20:45 23/06/05, Matthew Dempsky wrote:

Isn't this just a bit of an understatement? UIM, more often than not,
Linus and RMS aren't even looking in the same general direction.

Fine, it's irrelevant either way though.

It is, isn't it?

As for OpenSolaris, well...  If its source would
be made available using a free versioning system, stayed away from
including proprietary hardware drivers, and was licensed under any of the licenses the FSF considers free, then it *will* fit the spirit of
the FSF's goals better than Linux.

That's a big if.  Wouldn't it be better to just use a BSD kernel?
Debian has demonstrated this is feasible.

As you've noticed, it *is* feasible; it has proven to be feasible,
because efforts at coming up with a GNU/FreeBSD system is already well
under way.  A GNU/Linux system is also feasible; the fact that
hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of individuals and groups
already use a derivative of the base GNU/Linux system is more than
enough proof.

Personally, I don't want a GNU/*BSD system, or, at least, I'd still
like a purely GNU system. It's simple enough, really: I'm selfish. I
don't want proprietary software developers to keep on doing what they
have for decades: taking BSD-licensed software and using it to enhance
their own.  I only want to share with those who'll share with me, as
well.

Umm, you do realise that L4::Pistachio is made available to you under
a BSD-style license not the GPL right?

Nothing and no one is stopping anyone from doing a GPL'd L4 implementation
though if they choose.

Plus GNU Hurd has always been about the servers themselves IIRC, not the
microkernel or what-have-you it runs on.

Just out of curiosity, is this the L4 Darwin Benno?

Dave

Benno