Re: (Off-Topic) Autoconf

From: Eric Northup
Subject: Re: (Off-Topic) Autoconf
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:34:08 -0400

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 14:37, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 19:41 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
[...]
> > It doesn't have to be friendly to non-UNIX targets.  GCC is the GNU
> > projects compiler, not the UNIX compiler.

I understand Alfred's point, but I found the wording quite funny.  The
_definition_ of the GNU project is that it is non-UNIX ;-)

You should note that, although Shap has expressed frustration about
setting up cross-gcc environments, he still uses gcc!  If he thought
there were a better compiler for the work he's doing, he'd be using it.

> Little boy, I was working on GCC right about the time you were learning
> to read your first picture book. Do not pontificate to *me* about who
> GCC is for. From Richard I will take that (without, I might add, taking
> it terribly seriously). He has earned the right, because much of the
> earliest version of GCC was his work. What are *you* contributing (other
> than complaints and whining)?

Shap, I think that's a bit harsh.  Remember, the l4-hurd people have been
*very* generous in letting you use their mailing list to organize your
lecture notes for this year's Microkernel Architecture and Design course
:-p

--Eric