Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:41:33 +0200

At Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:38:55 +0200,
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > If Marcus et al. want to work on building a new, forward-oriented
> > operating system `Hurd', that is fine.
>
> Not exactly.
>
> If Marcus et al. want to work on building a new, forward-oriented
> operating system, that is perfectly fine. They are free to use their
> time any way they like.
>
> However, if they are working on something completely unrelated to the
> goals of the Hurd, they should choose a different name, and build an own
> community, instead of distracting and discouraging those interested in
> getting a working GNU kernel.

This is fair enough.  I wouldn't press the issue at this point though.
You have not seen me come out and say: "I want to do that."  At this
point, I am still picking up new concepts and ideas and try to
evaluate them.  There are some things where I say: "This sounds
interesting."

However, at some point I _will_ come forward and say what I want to do
and work on.  I will do it very clearly and specific.  Can we postpone
the discussion if this should be called "GNU Hurd" or "GNI Hird" until
that time?

Until then, I would like to hear much more about what you think the
goals are, and how they can be accomplished.  These are very
challenging questions at a technical level.  Please also note that
some goals are contradictory.  It's important to understand where and
why to make a reasonable decision.