Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:35:07 -0400

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 19:26 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> If the system doesn't support POSIX, then yes, you will have to throw
> out/rewrite a lot of code.  Unless you also plan to add a POSIX layer
> on top of things, which I can't imagine that you want to do when you
> say things like `not create a POSIX system'.

Well, since I have said several times that I think this layer is an
important thing to have, it is hard to imagine why you believe this.

>    There is evidence that this assumption is wrong.
>
> Prove it, port Emacs to a non-POSIX system.  Humor me.

Gosh, Alfred. Emacs ran just fine on KeyKOS. Can you explain why we need
to port it again?

>    I will shortly post a note on this subject so that we can all
>    examine this in a more structured discussion.
>
> So as always, you resort to academia: Theory with vauge ties to
> reality.

Alfred: the thing that is most striking about your rants is that they
are invariably aimed at the people who are trying to take your concerns
seriously and address them. Does this not strike you as potentially
counterproductive?