Re: Supporting POSIX *users* (was: Re: Does supporting POSIX application

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Supporting POSIX *users* (was: Re: Does supporting POSIX applications require ACLs?)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:53:16 +0200

   The Unix user ID concepts and file system access bits cause
   _considerable_ confusion among new users.

Not true at all, most new users don't even need to care about uid's or
file system access bits.  I don't even care about them on a daily
basis.

   I have seen this confusion, and it is justified ("execute" allows
   me to enter a directory???)

That is a silly argument, make a GUI that prints a message "enter
directory?" when something is a directory, and "execute file?" when it
is a file.

   There are plenty of perfectly traditional systems that implement
   POSIX.

And one of them is the GNU system, the one people here wish to write a
decent kernel for.

   I don't see a way to start with POSIX and then improve it from
   there.  POSIX has inherent insecurities built in.  There are not
   many, but [...]

So simply ignore those insecuritites.