Re: Processor requirements

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Processor requirements
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:46:12 +0100

On Saturday 26 November 2005 05:21 pm, address@hidden wrote:
> I would buy the new 64 bit computer, if i can see a clear way to earn the
> money back. How do you make the hardware manufacturers to pay the
> developers, testers, free documentation writers if the software is
> published under GPL?

They are doing actually, because software does not give them any revenue. They
earn money by selling hardware. This is the definition of hardware
manufacturers. In order to make their hardware attractive, they need
software, regardless of the license term of the software, and it costs to
implement software. So it is very reasonable to use Free Software to reduce
the cost. Since they don't sell software, it is cheaper to share software
rather than building in-house solutions.

This is not only a theory, but a fact in the reality. These days, it is common
to use Linux or *BSD for embedded systems.

Okuji