Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Patrick Negre
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:43:15 +0100

                Hi,

Jonathan S. says :

> They will see whatever type was bound for the name they open. In your
> example above, if they open foo.tar.bz, they will see a file. If a
> translator has bound "foo" to a directory view on the same object,
> attempts to open "foo" will see a directory.

Is it really a good idea to create new name in the filesystem tree ? I mean, a
file must have only one path, create new nodes with binding is confusing.
I don't understand the need of binding the "foo.tar.bz" in a directory "foo".
Isn't it just possible to the application who need the tree view of foo.tar.bz
to access it as a directory ?

Regards, Patrick N.

Nouveau : t�l�phonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! D�couvez les tarifs
exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
T�l�chargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com