Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Patrick Negre
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:47:53 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Ok.  So the new problem is exchanging capabilities using a persistent
> directory hierarchy and string data.  This is actually a much more
> reasonably restriction than just a file name.  Two possibilities:

> 1) The application creates a new name for the specific object (facet) it
>    wants to bind, and passes a string to that.

And latter

> In my model, the shell would use something like ~/.shell/cache/... to create
its "private" name space.

So what  happen if i tape "cd foo.tar.gz" ?
Does the system refuse the command ?
Does it binds a directory "~/.shell/cache/foo/" and put me in ?

> 2) If no new name shall be created, the application can pass two
>    strings: name + desired facet.  Then the receiving application can
>    use the poly class members to get the desired facet of the object
>    accessed using the name
But the entire path to the object can contain branching facets.
So what string will be pass by my application for the file
"foo.zip/goo.tar.gz/setup.exe" ?

Patrick N.

Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs
exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.