Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:44:33 +0100

Patrick Negre wrote:
Marcus Brinkmann wrote :
You have to bind a view to a
If a path to a file contain a non-default branch-translator, the branching must be specified by appending to the node the translator that have to be use. Ex: "foo.tar.gz:gzip_tr/setup.exe"
This make paths globals and unambiguous.

Someone already came up with this idea. It is actually quite nice, but the problem is that POSIX only specifies one reserved character, '/', and thus foo.tar.bz2:as_dir is a valid name. So such a file could exist.

btw, ':' is not a practical separator. I have several files (I did not create) on my disk containing ':' in the name.
--
-ness-