Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Patrick Negre
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:38:42 +0100

Hello,
I apologize for my bad english.

I have read docs and codes of hurd and coyotos, i'm not an expert as you are,
so here is my simple user point of view.

Marcus wrote :
> _Everything_ is going to
> be a translator :) "Files" are objects provided by the "file"
> translator.

Ok, but i want my ls command to list files, i will be very confuse if one of
my file is listed as many time as the number of translators set on it.
I expect my command "rm f" to remove a file not a view.

I want my system to be sufficently smart to understand that "cd foo.tar.gz"
mean i wanna browse foo.tar.gz, and after execution i expect   to be in
"foo.tar.gz/" as i asked. ( under the condition foo.tar.gz is browsable .

I expect, when i command a "cat whatever", that the system will understand
that i wanna access "whatever" as a file.

I want to have a simple way to access a file with a non default view, like
( it's an example ) : "cat whatever::binary"

Tom Bachmann wrote:
> the problem is that POSIX only specifies one reserved character, '/',
> and thus foo.tar.bz2:as_dir is a valid name. So such a file could exist.
Does POSIX specify anything about polytype files ?

All this can't be possible if the system don't handle unspecified access, as
the POSIX open(), or stat().

To handle this access, unspecified access can be mapped to a default
translator. Obviously, it must be a per-filetype setting (default access
don't have to be the same for a directory or for a file ).
Perhaps, default access can be more precisely managed if the filesystem have
the extended attributes for his files, so default access can be specified for
a single file.
So, all  unspecified access to a file will be forwarded to this default
translator.

In the same way, it should be possible to specify default_file, and
default_dir mappings, so  programs aware of polytype will access the
appropriate translator set by the user.
So, as exemple find can be tuned to explore files that have a default_dir
access, or tuned to explore only the files which default access is dir
capable.

Absolute and comprehensive path like "./foo.tar.gz::gzip/f.xml::xml/value" are
possible and share by every applications, aware or not of polytype
possibilities.

This is my simple user proposition.

Regards,
Patrick N.

Nouveau : t�l�phonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! D�couvez les tarifs
exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
T�l�chargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com