Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:02:39 +0200

At Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:39:04 -0400,
"Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:
> The assumption in my example is that the "recovery boundary" is between
> M and S, but C is relying fully on the fact that M performs recovery.

This is the trivial case, it is identical to the case where C and M
are in fact identical (which means we are talking about a scenario
involving two parties, not three).  My concern is about the case where
there is a "recovery boundary" between C and M as well as between M
and S.

It is not clear to me that in that case M has any information about
what a reasonable amount of time is.  It may have, but it also may not
have, depending on the specific use case.  A thread migration model,
for example, would address this by letting C provide an upper bound
for the operation in M as well as in S.  A real-time system would
address this by having in-advance knowledge about the required times.
But without such broad assumptions I don't think there is a general
answer for M to the question when it needs to recover.

Thanks,
MArcus