Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:34:35 +0200

At Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:09:02 +0200,
Tom Bachmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I don't think there is a general
> > answer for M to the question when it needs to recover.
> >

> can't C just tell M?

In a thread migration model, this would naturally be the case.

There is another option, I call this cancellation support: C can give
M a cancellation message. This requires either identificable sessions,
or providing a receive capability in every call (on which the
cancellation message would be invoked).  Both is undesirable.  It's
possible, but has quite some overhead, both in terms of performance as
well as code complexity.

We have something like this in the Hurd on Mach, but I want to get rid
of it.