Re: Design principles and ethics (was Re: Execute without read (was [...

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics (was Re: Execute without read (was [...]))
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:12:12 +0200

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 28/04/2006 hora 16:18:
> I am not yet ready to formalize the whole argument, sorry.  But I gave
> you all the important information, the rest is just deduction and
> application to specific cases.

I'll try to wait for you formalization, and save half a year. ;-)

> For the Hurd, I don't want to make use of this feature, but that
> doesn't mean you can't add it if you really want to.

As long as the design don't prevent anyone to implement the feature in
the Hurd, I'm happy. Except if leaving the opportunity to implement that
undesirable feature adds a real burden on the Hurd developers...

> You seem to think that a principle and a dogma are two different
> things.

As a theology student, yes I do! I'll explain further in another mail.

> Alice and Bob can achieve the goal you described in a number of
> different ways, by the way. [...] Alice could run the program in her
> own account, and provide capabilities to it to Bob, which Bob could
> use to display and interact with the program.

OK, that's fine for me. (in fact, I'm stupid, I had already read about
such a pattern in articles about letting an untrusted program access
sensitive data, while the author of the program doesn't want to disclose
the program itself...)

Quickly,
Nowhere man
--