Re: Retracting the term ownership (was: Re: Separate trusted computing d

From: Christian Stüble
Subject: Re: Retracting the term ownership (was: Re: Separate trusted computing designs)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:09:49 +0200

Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 00:36 schrieb Marcus Brinkmann:
> At Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:38:34 -0400,
>
> "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I do not believe that the same is true for TPM. The problem with TPM is
> > that the one widely publicized application is DRM. In discussions on
> > this list, we have identified a number of scenarios where TPM protects
> > the interests of the *customer*. TPM per se is merely a mechanism for
> > mechanically embedding certain contract terms. Some of those contracts
> > are socially bad, some are socially neutral, and some are socially
> > positive.
>
> That's the real question, isn't it?  The TPM supporters are
> cherry-picking the use cases and evaluating the scenarios mostly under
> the aspects of protection, and a narrow set of other interests.  So
> are doing some of the critics, I should add.  That's why I am
> targeting at a level of analysis that transcends the individual use
> cases.  A complete evaluation of the expected net effect on society is
> desperately lacking, but the threats are numerous and have been
> expressed by many parties.  To downplay this to the DRM example is an
> understatement of the criticism that exists.
The interesting question for me is whether the negative scenarios coming
with this technologie are caused by a bad design of the technology, or whether
these bad examples are a logical consequence of a design that
allows the "good" ones (independent of the fact that we have different
understandings what the "good" and "bad" examples are).