Re: Alternative network stack design (was: Re: Potential use case for op

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Alternative network stack design (was: Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network stack
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 05:43:09 +0100

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 08/01/2007 hora 04:58:
> Pierre, no matter how often you ask this question, the answer will
> always be the same: "If anything, then only the license."  I can only
> build a system that is secure by default.  You have to break it
> yourself.  That is true no matter what.

The problem is, I don't see where your proposal makes the system any
more secure than with the indiscriminate use of opaque memory. Your
proposal makes it more complex, which is known to make a system less
secure, in the sense that the more simple it is, the more reliably we
can implement it correctly and find it's weaknesses.

> I notice that there are quite a couple of such ideas that you keep
> bringing up again and again, and the answer is always the same, but
> somehow I am not getting through to you.  Do you have the same
> impression?

Well, sometimes you answer my questions by "It's not the real question",
which leaves my actual question unanswered. I may also be bringing up
ideas that I implicitely understood in your emails (and that I could
have wrongly infered from their explicit content).

> And do you have any suggestion how we can work this out to avoid
> endless repetition?

Be clear on the issues that we try to resolve. So I'll ask the question
again, but as clear as possible:

The mechanism of opaque memory has been used in scientific litterature
(could someone tell if it has already been used in deployed systems?) to
achieve POLA at a very high level, even in system components, while
retaining very good performance, by avoiding copy accroos protection
boundaries, and enabling more secure designs, by naturally adding
resource accountability and rendering services resistant to classical
denial of service attacks. You claimed that it could be used to
implement policies you consider to be security threats. What harmful
policies can be achieved through this mechanism that cannot easily
without? How does your proposal protect users from these threats?

Clearly,
Pierre
--
address@hidden