Re: Alternative network stack design (was: Re: Potential use case for op

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Alternative network stack design (was: Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network stack
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:21:10 +0100

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 08/01/2007 hora 12:10:
> Remember that the scenario is that process A wants to give an
> inspectable process B access to a service S which requires opaque
> storage allocations, without giving B access to opaque storage
> allocation.

Either I don't get something or you're confused: how would an
inspectable process make use of opaque storage in a way that is a threat
for inspection?

> You seem to be missing that in the discussed scenario we have three
> processes A, B, and S, where the delegation chain is "A->B->S", and A
> trusts S with a certain resource (like opaque allocation) but not B.

In the capability system as it would be implemented by Hurd, if A gives
the same capability to B and S, or gives a capability to B that gives it
to S (without proxying it, but by merely copying the untouched
capability), would A be able to discriminate when invocation of the
capability is made by B or S?

Isn't it the whole point of reference monitors?

Curiously,
Pierre
--
address@hidden