Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 06:42:11 -0800

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:

> The main difference as I understand it is that Coyotos enforces 'hard'
> resource allocation - the resource either is allocated to the process
> or it is not.

In *any* kernel, a resource is either allocated or it isn't. Resources
are conserved in the same sense that electrons are conserved.

The *policy* about use of surplus resources is not something that the
Coyotos kernel decides. It is decided by the space bank, which is
replaceable. The policies implemented by Viengoos could have been
implemented on top of the Coyotos kernel.

> If there is practical security difference between the Coyotos model
> and Viengoos model is yet to be proven. The same communication channel
> exists in both and it's a matter of estimating and measuring the
> bandwidth.

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. First, the corresponding channel
does not exist, and second, Coyotos is a member of a family of
architectures that have been running in production for over 35 years.
The practical security of this family is very well demonstrated.