Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in the KoboStore; pressuing distributors t

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in the KoboStore; pressuing distributors to stop using DRM?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:51:31 -0500

Rudolf <omouse@gmail.com> writes:

> Kobo is the Canadian version of the Kindle and I thought it would be okay
> to buy an ebook from there as their website lists some download options:
> Adobe DRM EPUB. Unfortunately I read that incorrectly and thought there was
> just plain old EPUB. I got a huge surprise when I downloaded it and then it
> prompted me to download a few different pieces of software.
>
> This is just a warning to other people; there's DRM in that book store.
> It's messed up because it's a simple wrapper around the open EPUB format.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how you would go about pressuring Amazon,
> KoboStore, and other ebook stores that use DRM to stop using it? I'm
> thinking of a letter writing campaign or simple petition and contact some
> technology editors/writers of major newspapers in Canada. Good idea? Bad
> idea?
>
> -Rudolf O.

Hi Rudolf,

I can think of a few helpful things:

1) Blog about this so other people know about it and come upon it when
they search for information about the store.

2) Does the KoboStore having tagging or reviewing like Amazon? That's a
helpful way to add information about which ebooks have DRM and which
don't. Or if they all do, to warn people about it.

3) If the KoboStore allows DRM-free books to be uploaded (like Amazon
does), then it might be helpful to write to your favorite authors and
publishers and ask them to take advantage of this option, in addition to
writing to Kobo and complaining.

4) Whatever you do, share it publicly, so others can do it too. If you
write a letter to Kobo, we could publish it on DefectiveByDesign.org and
encourage others to do it too.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.