Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [FC-discuss] What ideas do you have for direct

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [FC-discuss] What ideas do you have for direct action techniques to further free software and free culture?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 00:29:13 -0400

Danny Piccirillo <danny.piccirillo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>There is a debate within the free culture and free software
>communities (presented within the scope of software, where it is most
>relevant):
>
>Permissive vs Copyleft
>
>Permissive licensing is mostly hands off, and allows for proprietary
>software to be made from free software. The argument here is that free
>software should be made by choice, or at least that the law shouldn't
>be relied upon to keep software free.

I realize most of your email was humorous or meant as provocation :-),
but I wanted to address seriously something in what you say above:

We hear this "choice" argument all the time: that free culture and free
software are all very well and good, but shouldn't it be the producer's
"choice" whether or not to release their work under a free license?

When people ask the question that way, they forget that everyone has the
potential for choice.  We need to explain that a creator exercising such
a "choice" is thus taking choices away from others.  That is, if I
choose to (say) publish a book under a non-free license, I am thereby
*taking away* everyone else's choices to share it, translate it, make
derivative works from it, etc.  (And it's worse than a zero-sum game,
since so many more people's choices are being limited in that scenario.)

Of course, taking away those choices is currently the default under law.
The state not only grants, but actively encourages, that particular
monopoly -- so much so that many people don't even think of this as
reducing others' choices, even though that is its main effect.

So when you encounter the "choice" argument, please point out to your
interlocutor that choice goes both ways.

-Karl