Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Opinions, please: proposal for Parabola GNU/Li

From: Robert Martinez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Opinions, please: proposal for Parabola GNU/Linux's new logo
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:38:30 +0100

On 08/01/13 16:47, Jorge Araya Navarro wrote:
> Hello!!
>
> I'm envolved (in some way) with the Parabola GNU/Linux-libre project and
> few days ago I did a logo proposal it because the old one looks like...
> it don't have life at all. Anyway, I want to know the opinion from this
> list subscribers.

First of all I like your new version!

In my opinion #2 is better.
The straight prongs of #1 don't fit well to the curved outline shape and
certainly not to the parabola name.

Here are some ideas that you might consider for #2:
_The first two prongs (the small ones) are almost identical and bring in
only *almost* straight lines into your overall shape. For that and for
simplicities reason consider removing one of them, and maybe optically
adjust spaces so that there isn't such a big gap.
_Something feels wrong about the details of the curves of the prongs.
They are probably correctly created but seem to be skewed in different
perspectives: the outer shape is slightly tilted while the inner prongs
seem not to - resulting in a subtle disharmony in the nature of the curves.
_Maybe you want to apply a less symmetrical clean, simple and
interesting font face to reflect the logo shape and distribution name,
the bodies of the "a, o & b" are almost perfectly round.

> Here is the proposal https://labs.parabola.nu/attachments/90/propuesta.png
>
> Some hackers prefeers to keep magenta as the color for the logo, others
> we disagree with this because magenta doesn't look 'good' with other
> color backgrounds than white or black, is a big problem once you start
> doing wallpapers.
>
> peace be with you all,

Magenta is risky indeed. On the other hand it certainly is an eye-catcher.
I would make it depend on your feeling on how well that extraordinary
color choice would fit the project goals and the mentality of the people.

It is nice to see improvement to the current situation with no corporate
font at all and a logo too similar to the nike swoosh.

Hoping the feedback is of some use,

Robert