Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 20:28:29 -0300

On 07/08/2013 10:24 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:

> I don't know if the analogy of a potential "GNU Developer Network"
> with the existing "Mozilla's Developer's Network" is really fair.
> Mozilla's software is intrinsically related to the web.  So they
> use remote documentation that is fetched by a browser, that is
> intended to be a Mozilla derivative, and your work of development
> almost get done there.
>
> [...]
>
> The GNU project's software collection is far broader than that and
> often has directly nothing to do with web technologies.

*** I think you're making a fair point.  Would that be interesting to
reach out to all GNU projects and ask what they would expect to find
in an eventual GDN?  I suppose the advisory board didn't come out with
the idea of a developer network without an intention to make it easier
for developers to gain awareness of the GNU project and some easy path
to contribute; I guess it's a step to modernization, although I'm not
sure how that would work yet.

> What is the point in duplicating the standard documentation when it
> already exists or contributing it to a non-standard place when it
> doesn't exists?  Why should developers rely on inherently remote
> documentation for programs running and being developed locally,
> often with no remote scope, that supposedly have already been
> shipped with the ultimate, official, high quality documentation?
> Why not to contribute to the already existing standard
> documentation base?

*** Maybe a GDN would just do that? Judging by the relative
independence of the various GNU software projects, not all use
TexInfo, and not all use Guile as their extension language. Should
that be part of a general unification effort, or does the GDN project
has other goals?

I was surprised to discover "Semantic Versioning" as a copycat of the
GNU build system recommendations for versioning programs. Would the
GDN make such standards more visible and encourage non-GNU developers
to adopt such practice?

How would the GDN articulate with the existing meta-information on
Wikipedia? E.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_build_system could be transcluded in
LP pages... What can be done then, to make GNU development more
attractive to existing and prospective developers? Is that one of the
questions that lead to this thread?

==
hk