Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 21:01:02 -0300

On 07/11/2013 06:16 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:

> I propose an infrastructure that makes the GNU project a
> coordinated community of developers aiming and collaborating for
> the same end.  That way we can create a true "GNU Development
> Network".

*** Thank you for the detailed explanation. +1 for GNU DevelopMENT
Network. [0]

Please let me quote you and Christopher, as you didn't repeat this nor
mention that:

> We want to encourage new users to learn about developing free
> software in general and about developing for GNU (that is to say,
> in accordance with GNU standards, using GNU libraries/tools, etc.),
> as well as attract seasoned devs who want to stop by and learn
> something new or share their knowledge.

> Useful stuff may include a quick HOWTO for applying the GPL to
> your code.  How to write languages other than C to GNU
> standards/styles.
 > How to produce GNU approved documentation other than info pages as
> some things like RESTful APIs may only have documentation tools
> for their languages.  Where to find GNU resources to mirror
> resources in the rest of the world (Savannah, Gitorious, etc.).

Especially the part: "How to write languages other than C to GNU
standards/styles" rings true.

Most of the C part of the GNU is ready to roll, and many applications
now use languages that were not available at all when the GNU project
started (think NodeJS, PHP, Python, Ruby, or Erlang, Haskell, Scala,
Vala...) The younger generation would certainly appreciate
autotools-for-PUT_YOUR_FAVORITE_LANGUAGE_HERE.

*

(I separate this because that part might be more controversial, but
keep it here because it's related: it could be labeled "integrate
existing programs" to keep the focus out of the potential controversy)

Moreover, some alternate programs appeared. Some better, some better
maintained. Some using different approaches. For example, tmux as an
alternate to screen. Or Zshell, or Git... Some of them might integrate
the GNU project. I think the GDN could also address this part.

Cheers,

==
hk

[0]  For some reason, I can hear "programmer", "coder", and "hacker"
pretty well, but "developers, developers, developers"... That comes
with an annoying, hammering voice I can't control and sticks to my
eardrum like a bad bug's buzz.