Re: [libreplanet-discuss] support me

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] support me
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:13:26 -0300

On 04/14/2015 03:15 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> Wonderful work Sytse! While I still don't like the "open core" model,
> really appreciate your consideration and flexibility here.
>
> Please use this guide to make sure that all the client-side JavaScript
> is recognized as freely-licensed:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html
>
> Even with the Enterprise Edition at GitLab.com, the ability to use
> everything on the site with only freely-licensed JavaScript would be a
> substantial distinction versus GitHub!
>
> Thanks so much,
> Aaron

*** I want to second Aaron entirely.  I'm also curious about the
"Enterprise features".  I guess some of them might be developed on
request of a customer, and the code may be freed at some point to serve
other customers and the larger public.  I guess some of them concern
compatibility with non-free software, which IMO you can keep non-free :)
 There must also be a gray area in-between those two, where exclusivity
has some role to play.

Reviewing https://about.gitlab.com/features/#compare I think the
following features might be interesting for the CE, in decreasing order
of importance:

- - Git hooks (definitely)
- - Manage large binaries with git annex (definitely)
- - Lock project membership to the members of a group (probably)
- - Share a project with other groups (maybe)
- - Rebase merge requests before merge (not sure why)
- - An admin can email all users of a project, a group or the entire
server (maybe)

The rest of the Enterprise features seem pretty much limited to specific
enterprise contexts.

==
hk