Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 15:29:53 -0700

As RMS pointed out himself, he is not totally extreme on these things.

Last time I heard him speak on these topics, he emphasized the need for better
legal respect for remix culture. Also, I asked about the ways that CC licenses
require that modified version be marked as modified and that an author's
association with a derivative must be removed upon request. His response was
that he didn't feel comfortable with the adequacy of these measures.

I disagree with him about the level of distinction he draws between functional
works and works of opinion, but he is not a total extremist, and he does
recognize that the ND license restricts potential value. He just thinks that
requiring permission is an okay trade-off to protect the things he is concerned
about. I and others disagree. But we shouldn't mischaracterize his position as
being more extreme than it is.

-Aaron