Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: rysiek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:51:55 +0200

Dnia niedziela, 26 kwietnia 2015 20:10:47 Bryan Baldwin pisze:
> We have enough problems with people misrepresenting other people, especially
> Mr. Stallman.

And licensing doesn't help with this situation in even a bit. For reasons
outlined before.

> Which #%&*ng essay are you gagging to translate?

Maybe we could at least try to keep it civil on this list, please?

> Maybe if you offered to do it, FSF would say yes.

Several years ago volunteers of an organisation I worked for translated the
following article:
http://ur1.ca/g5iwh

We reached out to FSF for permission to publish it; it has been ignored
completely.

I stipulate that the fact that this text has not been available to 40 million
Polish speakers worldwide may have been a larger net loss than potential for
misrepresentation/mistranslation.

> Cultural freedom has a massive sandbox and it can leave works of opinion the
> hell alone. There's way more important work to do than worry about
> frivolities and feckless pagentry.

There is no clear distinction between "works of opinion" and the rest; as I
have argued before, a "work of opinion" can be used as a base for work of art,
or an educational endaevour, or otherwise. This distinction is as artificial,
as it is harmful.

To quote a classic: "I can't follow you when you start from a false
predicate."

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak