Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fsf-community-team] Golden Rule

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fsf-community-team] Golden Rule
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 02:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

There is a very mixed bag situation on medical device hacking, in that yes, it
is definitely possible to cause potentially life threatening situations if one
makes modifications the wrong way...  On the flip side, is it any better if
that mistake is because the proprietary manufacturer doesn't allow fixes that
improve the patient's quality of life?  Why should the patient need to BEG for
problems to be solved, or only be allowed to do things that the provider thinks
they should be ALLOWED to do, as opposed to being allowed to at least TRY to do
more?

I think that what should be done at a minimum is to allow any programming
parameters to be changed, even if the program itself is more thoroughly locked
down, or more difficult to modify, while providing a good and accessible set of
information and warnings on what they do...  I am far from thrilled by the
multiple 'Are you SURE?' checkboxes that some proprietary O/S's put you
through, but could see some level of that on particularly dangerous
parameters....

In terms of the medical device area, I think that it would be VERY good to do
something on the line of an open source hardware group for medical devices.  I
have had a long time interest in trying to make better chairs but have been
worried about how to handle the regulatory and liability concerns.  Among other
things, a collected knowledge base of how to do things without getting into
problems with the government bodies dedicated to blocking progress...

I don't know if it is related to the gait training program you have been
working on, but I know that there at least used to be an effort to create an
open hardware version of the electro-stimulation exercise bikes (FES) a few
years ago.  I found that my injury is such that I don't respond to
electro-stim, so I am no longer following the project and don't know it's
current status...  Given that the best commercial bike is over US$15K, runs on
MS Windows, and requires an internet connection to get PERMISSION for you to
ride it according to parameters that THEY set, seems like there would be a
market for an alternative....

Also I like to point folks at WheelChairDriver.com, as a site where people are
doing serious hacking on power chairs, including all the electronics, with some
impressive results...

ART