Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:03:39 -0300

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:26:42PM +0300, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
> On 26.08.2016 21:48, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> > and *not a problem* if all available sources
> > will eventually be released.
>
> Well, if it's not true that said hardware is libre hardware now (or
> since "the very beginning" until now) and we consider it "not a problem"
> if at some unspecified point in time it's going to be libre hardware,
> than we are justifying the practice of falsely marketing hardware as
> free-design hardware. And the same logic ("not a problem") can apply to
> GPL-violaters who at some point in time they comply with GPL.

Hi, Tiberiu-Cezar.

I have to disagree here. Comparing this to GPL violation is outrageous.
Taking out from recipients the freedoms the original authors intendend
them to have is a very serious thing. You can't compare that to a
hypothetical "not giving the information one said was libre to random
people".

First, in the GPL violation case, not only the recipients rights to
freedom are being violated, but also the original authors rights, one
that is also recognized by law.

Second, in the GPL violation case, we are talking about something that
exists, has been shipped and is in the hands of the recipients.

I would like to address other points you brought, but I will leave that
to another time, because I think this point is much more important now.

By the way, thanks for your work on Tehnoetic.

Regards.
Cascardo.